Saturday, May 02, 2009

KDE 4.2.2 still has a few problems

I went through the first week or so without encountering any major issues with KDE 4.2.2 at all, but once I started using more than just Email and a Web browser, I started running into issues. I used Dolphin, the new file manager, to locate a Word 2007 document that someone had sent me and I opened it. Open Office 3.0.1 got about halfway through initialization, then froze the entire desktop. At first, I could not tell what was responsible for the issue, so I tried it again. I should note that when I say froze the entire desktop, in the past, I could issue a Ctrl-Alt-F1 ... F4 and start a non graphical interface. I was locked from doing that; no key sequences at all responded; holding the power button for five seconds is the only thing that worked.

Did it again, was able to open a few files, but coming back to the same file on the third or fourth try blew me right out of the desktop - but that's better, at least I did not have to reboot. Once I saw that, I blame Plasma for the issue, but also Open Office for erratic behavior. However, running with fvwm-crystal, I saw no symptoms of an issue with Open Office, despite opening several files repeatedly, therefore I believe this to actually be a KDE 4.2.2 and more specifically a Plasma issue. Have to follow up to verify this, then issue a bug report so that this can get fixed.

No comments: