Saturday, May 16, 2009

Revisiting antiX and SimplyMEPIS

Revisiting antiX and SimplyMEPIS

The sidux, SimplyMEPIS, and antiX distributions are the trilogy of systems that I prefer to use the most, though I have, test, and use many more systems. Recently I have updated the most current software updates across each of my systems, but other than that, I have not been using much beside sidux. With sidux, I've spent several days using different desktop and window managers, including the relatively recent KDE 4.2.2, fvwm-crystal, and XFCE.

Yesterday I made it a point to spend some time with both antiX and SimplyMEPIS. There were no package updates in SimplyMEPIS at all; it is rock stable. There were only a few package updates to antiX, which is based on Debian Testing. Both of them ran very smoothly and cleanly. No wonder I keep them among my trilogy of systems!

What I enjoy about all three of my favorite systems is that they work so well; that is what is common about the three of them, along with the fact that each of them is based upon Debian packaging: sidux is based on Debian Sid, antiX is based on Debian Testing, and SimplyMEPIS is based on Debian Stable. By using all three of them, I can get a pretty good idea about what is going on in each of these Debian repositories. I also have an installed copy of Debian Lenny, which, like SimplyMEPIS, is quite solid and stable; I have it implemented with XFCE and it is also fast.

In addition to being able to track what is going on with Debian by using these distributions, I also get three very good systems that have three very different, distinctive attributes that I appreciate, attributes that are difficult to obtain in a single system. sidux is a cutting edge system, antiX is a light, fast, and flexible system, and SimplyMEPIS is a simple, stable system. All three of them are among the best, if not THE best, with those particular attributes, and I consider each of them to be at the top of their class for the kind of niche they fill. In addition to that, I happen to like each distribution, and the communities that represent them are very helpful.

No comments: