Saturday, August 29, 2009

Slackware 13.0 and Jibbed 5.0.1 Live CD

Yesterday I downloaded the new Slackware 13.0 32 bit DVD (there is also a 64 bit implementation). I have not installed it yet, but I plan to do that some time during the next week.

Slackware was the very first distribution of GNU/Linux software that I ever used. It was quite familiar to me because I was an active UNIX system user prior to that, and I would frequently download and use various GNU utilities - tar, gzip, and GNU Emacs in particular, on my UNIX systems.

As I was typing, I just received notification that my download of the Jibbed 5.0.1 Live CD is complete. Jibbed is a Live CD implementation of NetBSD, and it contains a pre-packaged XFCE desktop implementation. For those of you who have used NetBSD or OpenBSD before, you may know that the standard NetBSD and OpenBSD do not include any window managers or automatic setup for X, though there are procedures that do allow you (on your own) to install and configure a rich assortment of applications, including X and many window managers. I generally do not have the time available to spend configuring them, though I have done so in the past. But this pre-configured setup might be a quick and handy way to use NetBSD (possibly on the fly).

At the very least, I intend to test this out on my Virtualbox OSE setup.

No comments: